Monday, September 23, 2013

my feelings about college

As I sit in my dorm on this very stressful and crappy Monday, I can't help to think about finally returning home this weekend. Even though I love Virginia Tech, I really miss my family, my pets, my friends, and the feeling you get when you finally walk into your house after being gone for a long time. In my opinion, the first month at college has been life changing and extremely challenging. I honestly feel like I have learned more in this last month than I ever have in the last 18 years of living. With that being said, college is a very enjoyable and it's also a very stressful atmosphere. Its really hard adjusting from easy AP high school classes and maintaining a 4.0 all four years to not making the grades I thought I would be making. Looking back at high school, I believe that the only thing that I really do miss is the all of the free time that I had during after school hours and on the weekends. Nowadays my life consists of waking up at nine am, doing homework, studying for classes, going to classes, doing more homework, and then sleep. This routine is never ending and goes on repeat every single day of the week, but the one thing that I try to keep in the back of my mind is that one day this will all pay off!

While being here, I've also started to change my mind about being a science major. I've recently been leaning towards a degree in education or maybe even hnfe. I honestly think it would be amazing to one day become a kindergarten teacher, which is right now why I'm leaning towards a major in education. Another thing that I have realized about college is that I am NOT meant to take Chemistry. For anyone that has yet to take it and is about to next semester, let me warn you right now and tell you that its the worst class ever. Don't be surprised if you wanna cry because of how hard it is because it truly sucks!

As for my favorite class it would have to be either First Year Writing or Math at the Empo, both classes are enjoyable and they are easy to understand. Whenever I have homework or have to take a quiz, I don't feel overly stressed and I feel like I actually know what I need to know for the quiz. I think the reason as to why I'm not enjoying my chem, or bio classes is mainly the size of the class room. Its tough going from high school class rooms with 20 people, to class sizes that contain 400 students. 

As the year goes on, I really hope I will start becoming more comfortable and familiar with my science classes, if not the good thing about being at college is getting the chance to try new majors and new classes! I am really scared, nervous, and excited to see what the next few months have in store for me!

2 comments:

  1. Kindergarten teacher is cute. I believe you can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went home this weekend and it was such a relief to just be there and relax. Finding yourself in college is very important and I hope that you find your calling soon! Human Development is a great major for Education

    ReplyDelete